1962 was the first million dollar sales year for the organization and Goodwill Industries was beginning to feel growing pains. The need for a larger facility led to the $1 million "Accent on People" capital campaign. The employees themselves contributed $49,000 and at the end of the campaign, over 1,200 gifts had been received and the goal of $1 million had been surpassed.
In 1968, the construction of a new 133,000 square-foot facility at Hampton Road and Singleton Boulevard was completed. The facility included a chapel, diagnostic and testing center, board rooms, classrooms, sheltered workshops, retail store, offices, and full-service cafeteria.
Goodwill Timeline Photographs from 1923 to 1932
After many years of service, Gerald Clore resigned and Marvin L. McPheron became the new Executive Director. One of McPheron's most significant contributions to Goodwill was his development of a comprehensive federally-funded rehabilitation program. This program became the largest vocational rehabilitation workshop in the Southwest and provided counseling, work adjustment training, personality adjustment training, and on-the-job training.
After Marvin L. McPheron's death in 1974, Fred Sherman was named Executive Director. Sherman was credited with the development of the Sub-contracting Department (now known as Industrial Services) to employ persons with severe disabilities. Sub-contracting services included packaging, collating, assembly, and shrink-wrapping.